Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Fall Day at the Tee


Around these parts, this past weekend was just gorgeous.  
Perfect fall days.  


Sunday, after running a few morning errands, Hubby decided to go to the golf club we joined this year to play nine holes.


We've spent quite a bit of time there this summer with Hubby playing two, even three, times a week.  Early in the summer, I was playing once a week for a while.  
And, best of all, hitting the pool for some R&R in the sun.


Photo from The Club website
Photo from The Club website.
Chester River Yacht and Country Club has a beautiful course located next to the historic Maryland town of Chestertown, and sits right on the Chester River.  There's a clubhouse with restaurant, banquet facility, pool, and a dock right on the river.  It's an old, established country club.  And as you can see from the photos below, there's lots of small ponds and wetlands with tons of wildlife.


This doe is hoping Hubby doesn't shank the shot!

All the small ponds along the course are loaded with turtles.
Not only is the club old, in that it's been established since 1929, it would seem most of the members are originally from that era!  Well, just kidding . . . kinda . . . I would say that Hubby and I are part of the minority age, me at 47 and him at 51.  Most of the members are well into their 60's, 70's even older.  Obviously we didn't join the club for the social life, but primarily for the golf and the pool.  It's a private club, so no tee times aren't needed.  Hubby loves that he can go whenever he gets the itch and doesn't have to worry about scheduling a time.   Best of all, they were offering a fabulous deal on new memberships.  

View of The Chester River from the course.


When we went down this past Sunday, I mainly went to keep Hubby company riding along in the cart and taking some great photos.  Unfortunately, my golfing for the season is pretty much done.  Three weeks ago, Son No. 3 was horsing around and pushed me over while I was sitting on a counter stool.  I went down hard right on my left bum check.  It knocked the wind out of me and hurt like crazy.  For a few days after, it just felt like maybe I had a bruised bone.  A visible bruise never really showed up.  So I kept on with my regular, physical routines of puttering inside and outside the house, exercising daily and work ~ cleaning houses.  About the third or fourth day after the fall, I started getting really intense lower back pain that would radiate down my left leg and into my calf.  It was a tingling pain that even went down into my foot causing some numbness in my toes.  It became crippling at times.  I will tell you this, I've given birth twice with no pain killers and the pain would sometimes equate to some of the worst labor pains, almost driving me to tears.



After a couple weeks I finally decided to see the doc.  After the doctor examining me and sending me to physical therapy, and from what info I've found on the web, I'm pretty sure I have a herniated, ruptured, bulging . . . whatever you want to call it . . . disc.  I haven't had an official diagnosis.  That would require an MRI, but from what the physical therapist deduced, and the research I've done, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm dealing with.  The worst part is, there's really nothing to do but nurse it and take it easy.  Surgery seems to be a last resort in super-severe cases, and is not always recommended.



There's my handsome Hubby putting the ball.
I'll tell you it's been hard not being able to do all that I'm used to.  Having to cut back on my workouts, and the intensity of them.  Not being able to get out and do the necessary fall gardening clean-up, or projects around the house.  It's been debilitating for me.  I'm not a "sit-around-and-do-nothing" kinda gal.  I'm always puttering.  Some days it's painful to just walk across the room.  From all that I've read, this type of injury can take weeks, months to heal, if it totally heals at all.  
Oye!!!



Well, if nothing else, maybe I'll get some sewing, scrapbooking, crafting and cross stitch projects done.  With the Holidays right around the corner, though, I hope I get some relief from the pain so I can get the things done I need . . . err . . . want to do.


In the meantime, guess I'll have to spend more time on the couch catching up with all the things that can be done in a seated position.






Thanks for visiting!
Leave a comment so I can get to know you.

3 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

Beautiful pictures of the course, the day did look perfect.

I hope you get the rest you need and get back to 100%, there is nothing like having to sit still that makes you find a million things you want to work on.

Get better!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oooh, that must have hurt, Carla! Do whatever you've got to so it gets better. Maybe your hubby will let you drive the golf cart ~ this way you can still at least get out there on the green!

Anonymous said...

Did that putt go in?

Related Posts with Thumbnails